Sunday 23 November 2014

Steven Meisel

For our Visual Critique brief I have decided to look into fashion photographer Steven Meisel. The reason I chose this particular photographer was because I loved the way his photographs showed a strong sense of storytelling and theatrical narratives through his use of clever styling and art direction as well as the way in which he seems to reference his work around history and culture.

When looking into his work, I found myself particularly interested in his 'Morning Beauty' shoot that he did with Lily Donaldson, Gemma Ward and Caroline Trentini. This photographic series was published in the December 2005 issue of Vogue US as 'Glamora'.

This particular spread engaged me as I loved his use of high end, luxurious and wealth driven looking models whom were styled in over the top embellished, girly gowns and sky high heels but set in an urban, almost run down area to which completely juxtaposed their styling. I feel that Meisel brought together two ends of the fashion spectrum...the luxurious old school glamour and the typically American urban street, two things that on paper should not compliment each other, yet on camera fit perfectly hand in hand.
Sourced from: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/morning-beauty-lily-donaldson-gemma-ward-caroline-trentini-steven-meisel/

No comments:

Post a Comment