Thursday 6 November 2014

Compositional Styles for Moodboards

Using different cut outs surrounding my colour story of 'In the nude' I experimented the different ways of compositioning a mood board to get a desired effect. The 4 areas that I focused on were......

1. GRID: Place one key image in a corner of the page and use other images to slot into this key image to form a 'grid' like layout.

2. FREE FORM: "Push images through a funnel"-filter the images into a layout that varies from having lots of images in one area (busy) to having a few images in the opposing area (quiet).

3. MINIMUM: Select 6 or 7 key images and use them to frame the whole moodboard in a simplistic and minimal way.

4. MAXIMUM: Ensure that all areas of the page are covered as well as thinking about how you will order these images in order of hierarchy- where will you put the main focus point image and where will you put the less important images?

My colour palette theme is Nudes and Neutrals so I gathered mainly grey, cream, beige, and ivory images to experiment with.

1. GRID
Overall I was fairly pleased with how my grid mood boards turned out as I felt comfortable with the style of composition. I definitely feel however that the mood board for this style looked better as a landscape page rather than portrait as the images I had fitted better together in a grid format in a wider paged orientation.




 2. FREE FORM
Considering I had never compositioned a mood board in the free form style before I was fairly pleased with the mood boards that I created. However I definitely felt most out of my comfort zone with this style as it took a while to get used to looking at blank spaces in the 'quiet' area of the moodboard, when I am used to filling a page.



3. MINIMUM
Out of all of the styles, I felt that I did not connect as much with this particular one as the key images that I chose were the best of the images I had for this particular style yet I feel that overall the mood boards were not as dramatic and eye catching as those with a fuller page.




4. MAXIMUM
Out of all of the styles of compositioning a mood board, this was the style that I most enjoyed as I feel that it was a liberating experience just being able to place images onto a page and not having to worry too much about over lapping or positioning the images in a certain way. The busier the better!!



Overall, experimenting with these different compositions of a mood board, I realised just how important it was to select the correct one in order to express a certain idea. I found myself going out of my comfort zone and pushing myself to create something entirely original with limited materials. Having a designated time span to which we had to follow to create each mood board definitely helped me to realise that it is possible to create something interesting and innovative with smaller time scale, whilst still putting just as much effort in.

#FCPreflection

No comments:

Post a Comment