Wednesday 1 October 2014

Starting at NTU

Induction Week:
I think it's safe to say that I was a little apprehensive about starting the course as you walk in on the first day and see a sea of fashion forward people dressed up to the nines and sporting their own unique style.I couldn't help feeling a little lost about the whole concept of entering myself back into education after taking a year out and travelling around New Zealand, Australia and South East Asia for 5 months which pretty much filled my brain with cultural overload and found myself forgetting about any sort of routine that was there beforehand!

For the first tutorial we all had to stand up and say our name, where we were from, what we had been doing prior to starting at NTU as well as an interesting fact about ourselves, safe to say panic just took over and I found myself randomly blurting out that I rode an elephant as my interesting fact, not entirely sure that counts but oh well!

Following this we spent the rest of induction week just getting to know our tutors and eachother a little better as well as introducing ourselves to Nottingham by completing a 'Treasure hunt' around town to help us get more comfortable with our new surroundings in groups, as well as taking part in a Street Style task, in which we scouted people on the streets whom we thought had interesting style and photographed them before uploading the photos onto a joint Pinterest account for others to see. One girl I found had the most amazing Yves Saint Laurent electric blue clutch bag which I instantly fell in love with and now cannot stop thinking about!




So far we have watched two documentaries; one on street style photographer Bill Cunningham and the other on Fashion editor Carine Roitfield (Mademoiselle C). It was really interesting to see two different sides into the fashion industry from two highly influential people while they're just going about their everyday lives.






Week 1:
This week we have taken part in tasks in which are helping us to discover which role we aim to achieve by the end of the 3 year course at this point in time. So each of use split ourselves into either PR, Marketing, Buying, Management or Styling. Personally, I chose the Styling element as the thought of being able to give guidance to people with a certain style on what clothing suits them and how to wear it, as well as possible involvement on photoshoots etc really interests me as I feel it's more of a personable role which requires more involvement rather than being behind the scenes most of the time. It was interesting to share thoughts and ideas surrounding Styling with other people who are interested in the role also, as well as getting to know new people whom you haven't spoken to before.

So overall, so far so good!!

#FCPreflection

No comments:

Post a Comment