Friday 6 February 2015

Hegarty on creativity: There are no rules

When we were first assigned to read this book during reading week, I was originally skeptical as I wasn't sure whether it was going to be one of those over the top and exaggerated creative books that once you've finished reading you're left wondering what it was all about.

But I have to say I was extremely surprised at how much I actually enjoyed the book! The tone of the book is lighthearted, humorous and witty, yet jam packed full of positive outlooks and handy hints into the creative world, all of the elements that I feel make for the perfect easy read.

The reason I believe that the book was a lot more interesting for myself, was due to its non biased tone of voice to which the author is basically saying that there is no right or wrong answer when creating an idea, it is all based on what you personally believe to be right. The language used is conversational and un-structured, which I liked as it made the reading seem to be almost a conversation rather than having an opinion of what is right and wrong thrown at you in black and white.

The use of the funny and somewhat unexpected innuendo's, "Collaboration is great for sex but not for creativity", made for a much more enjoyable read to which he author addressed the reader as an adult, which is something that I feel to be a major contributing factor to the enjoyment of a book, as I feel less inclined to be interested in a book when the author patronizes the reader and makes them seem of less value than themselves, this something that the author of this book contradicted as they made themselves out to be no different to you nor I, explaining the theory that we are all on the same page and it is your individuality to which makes your ideas the best, "Remember there are no rules!".

However, as well as telling the reader that there are no rules within the creative world and that it is all down to personal choice, the author also helped to give out handy tips on how to "get your creative juices flowing". This being something that I feel is very useful, as sometimes coming up with original and innovative ideas can be stressful, but it is important to remember that by making simple changes to your daily routine, just how much it can effect you and help you to feel more motivated and in control.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book as it made for a very interesting and engaging read from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment